Dog Bites: What to Do After an Attack
Dog bites send nearly 1,000 people to emergency rooms each year in the United States. Not only are dog bites painful, but they can result in permanent disfigurement and, if left untreated, can cause serious infections. If you have been injured in a dog attack, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the animal’s owner for failing to keep their dog restrained. A Houston personal injury lawyer from the Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, III PC can investigate your case and possibly help you obtain compensation for your injury.
Gathering Information After a Dog Bite Injury
One of the best things you can do to strengthen your claim is to gather as much information as you can after the attack. Remember these tips to maximize your chances of a successful outcome:
- Identify the dog’s owner. Take down their full name, address, and contact information.
- Gather the names and contact information of any witnesses that may corroborate your story.
- Take pictures of your injuries. This can be important evidence later on.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. One of the biggest mistakes people make in personal injury cases is that they do not obtain medical care in a timely manner. This could jeopardize the outcome of your case, so do not delay.
- Get in touch with a local animal control center and file a report. While hospitals typically make reports, they are only for documenting disease and injury statistics and are not concerned with holding negligent owners responsible for their pets.
Should I Speak to an Insurance Adjuster?
If you are contacted by the pet owner’s insurance company, it is extremely important that you do not speak to them about anything related to the accident or about money. If they ask you for a recorded statement, politely decline until you have consulted with a lawyer from the Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, III PC. Insurance companies will do what they can to pay as little as possible, so avoid making any statements about who was to blame for the accident. Do take down their name, as well as information about the company they work for, a claim number, and any information about the person who is insured.
Injured? Call our Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Today!
Hiring the right attorney can make a world of difference to the outcome of your case. At the Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, III PC, our award-winning, highly-rated Houston personal injury lawyer is committed to obtaining justice for injury victims, and has secured over $100 million in settlements and verdicts for clients throughout Texas.