Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injuries are injuries that are brought on by another person’s carelessness, neglect, or deliberate conduct. Many people sustain personal injuries in motor vehicle accidents, slip and falls, dog bites, and other types of negligence.
People who have sustained personal injuries might be entitled to legal remedies for their harms or losses, including money damages, injunctions, or other forms of legal relief. If you have been injured and would like to explore your legal options, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Board-Certified Personal Injury Attorney in Texas
Houston is home to many excellent personal injury lawyers. When choosing a personal injury lawyer, it is important to find an attorney who has a history of success with personal injury claims. After a serious accident, a personal injury claim or lawsuit may seem daunting. That’s why you need legal counsel from The Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, III PC. Our Houston, TX personal injury lawyer provides effective legal counsel to help our clients protect their rights and best interests after an injury. We have successfully represented countless injured clients and recovered millions of dollars in damages on their behalf. We understand that personal injuries can have a devastating impact on victims and their families. That is why we work tirelessly to get our clients the best possible outcome in their cases.
If you or a loved one in your family or network has been injured, contact the Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz today for legal counsel. We can review your case and explain your legal options during a no-obligation discussion of the facts.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have been injured in a serious accident, there are many benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help you file a personal injury case and fight for your legal rights. Common benefits include:
- Knowledgeable Legal Representation: The legal system can be complicated and difficult to navigate on your own. An experienced personal injury lawyer knows how to navigate the legal system and can help you earn the most favorable and desired outcome in your case.
- Timely and Effective Communication: A good personal injury lawyer will keep you up to date on the progress of your case and will promptly return your calls and emails. This help will ensure that you do not miss any deadlines or important information.
- Expertise in Negotiating Settlements: A personal injury lawyer will have the experience and knowledge to negotiate a fair settlement with insurance companies, employers, and other defendants.
- Ability to Seek Damages for Your Losses: Personal injury lawyers can seek damages on your behalf, including compensatory damages (for your physical and emotional injuries), punitive damages (if the defendant’s conduct was malicious or egregious), and more.
- Access to Crucial Resources: A good personal injury lawyer will have access to resources such as investigators, medical experts, and more that can help strengthen your case. Not having access to these resources can severely harm your case or impact your ability to recover damages.
- The Ultimate Partnership: A good personal injury lawyer will work with you as a partner and ally and will fight for your rights and interests. Clients should never feel alone knowing that their attorney is working hard to get them the compensation they deserve and ensure justice is achieved.
This list outlines just some of the many benefits that come with hiring a personal injury lawyer. The value that a personal injury lawyer can provide is invaluable, and victims of accidents should strongly consider retaining legal representation to ensure that their best interests are protected.
Need a Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston? Here’s Why You Should Choose Ours:
Choosing the right attorney can make a considerable difference in the outcome of your case. We encourage you to work with an attorney with the right experience. Daniel D. Horowitz, III has years of experience representing Texas accident victims. His successful track record includes many achievements and accolades.
More reasons to pick our Houston personal injury law firm for your case include:
- Mr. Horowitz has been named to Super Lawyers® for two years running
- Our lead attorney was named to the prestigious Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ list
- We were called a “Top Lawyer for the People” by H Magazine
- Mr. Horowitz has achieved the highest rating on Avvo, a 10/10 “superb”
- Named “Director of the Year” for the Houston Trial Lawyers Association
What Type of Accidents Qualify as a Personal Injury in Houston?
To file a personal injury case in Houston, the accident must meet specific criteria. Generally, an accident would qualify as a personal injury if it resulted in physical or emotional injuries. Some common types of accidents that can qualify as personal injuries include:
- Car Accidents: Car accidents are the most common form of personal injury. If another driver is careless or negligent, you could be seriously injured in an auto accident.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere, from a grocery store to a hotel. They typically occur when the property owner fails to ensure the premises are safe and free from hazards that could cause an accident.
- Dog Bites: A person bitten by a dog can suffer serious physical and emotional injuries. These scenarios can often lead to a personal injury case against the owner of the dog or business where the dog was located.
- Construction Accidents: Construction accidents can occur when proper safety measures are not taken. If you are injured in a construction accident, you have the opportunity to file a personal injury claim against the negligent property owner or contractor.
- Medical Malpractice: This occurs when a doctor, nurse, or hospital fails to provide adequate care resulting in injury or death. This can be the result of an error on behalf of the medical professional or a failure to take the patient’s symptoms seriously.
- Product Liability: These cases can occur when a defective product causes an accident or injury. If a defective product you handled has injured you, you may be able to file a product liability claim against the manufacturer or seller.
If you have unfortunately been injured in an accident that meets the criteria of a personal injury, it is in your best interest to speak with a personal injury lawyer. A solid lawyer can help you understand your legal rights within any of these personal injury cases and determine what is needed to move forward with a strong case to maximize compensation.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Our Houston personal injury firm is ready to handle almost any type of personal injury claim or lawsuit. After an accident, we understand that you may feel overwhelmed about pursuing compensation for your damages.
These injuries can lead to long-term financial hardship if you don’t fight for the money you deserve. That’s why our Houston personal injury attorney is prepared to take cases involving virtually any type of accident or injury. A few examples of cases we handle include:
- Automobile Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Oil and Gas Field Injuries
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Operating Accidents
Understanding the Personal Injury Process
After an accident, you’re probably wondering, “what happens next?” Generally speaking, a personal injury lawsuit involves the following steps:
- Your first meeting with an attorney
- Filing initial court papers (the “complaint”)
- Finding facts – the “discovery” period
- Trial, though many cases settle before this happens
Most personal injury cases resolve before trial. A settlement would take place between the discovery period and trial. Our Houston personal injury attorney will pursue whichever option is in your best interest.
If we get a successful result before your case reaches the courtroom, we won’t encourage you to take the case to court. However, if your case needs litigation to achieve the best possible recovery, we aren’t afraid to fight for you in trial.
What Forms of Compensation Can I Fight for in a Personal Injury Claim?
Victims of personal injuries can often recover a variety of different forms of compensation. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Expenses: If you have incurred medical expenses as a result of the accident, you can recover those costs through your personal injury claim. This includes both past and future medical costs.
- Lost Wages: If you have missed time from work because of the accident, you may be able to recover compensation for those lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: In addition to recovering financial losses, you may also be able to recoup reimbursement for the hardship you have experienced as a consequence of the accident.
- Punitive Damages: This is awarded in rare cases and is meant to punish the defendant for particularly egregious actions.
- Property Damages: If your personal injuries have caused damage to your property, you can seek compensation to replace or repair that property.
If you have been injured in an accident, it is important to speak with a personal injury lawyer to understand what compensation you may be able to recover.
What Are Catastrophic Injuries in Houston?
Catastrophic injuries are scenarios that have a long-term and significant impact on the victim’s life. Some common catastrophic injuries include:
- Brain Injury: A brain injury can occur due to an accident or trauma. This could lead to physical, emotional, and cognitive problems.
- Spinal Cord Injury: A spinal cord injury can cause paralysis or loss of movement and sensation.
- Amputation: If a limb is amputated as a result of an accident or medical malpractice, the victim might be able to recover compensation for the cost of prosthetic devices, physical therapy, pain and suffering, and more.
- Paralysis: Paralysis is the complete loss of movement and feeling in a body part. It can be caused by an accident, stroke, or other medical event.
- Fractured Bones: A fracture is a break in one or more bones. A fractured bone can lead to long-term health problems, including arthritis.
- Head Injuries: Head injuries can range from a mild concussion to a life-threatening brain injury. They can cause physical, cognitive, and emotional problems.
Any one of these catastrophic injuries can be caused by an accident at work, such as a dangerous explosion, or medical malpractice when being treated for a health condition. Victims of these types of injuries may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for their losses to help assist their new lives with these hardships.
Tips for Personal Injury Recovery in Houston
The resulting damage from a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, or other personal injury is difficult to manage. Here are some common recovery tips to help in the healing process:
- Get plenty of rest: When the body is healing, it is important to get plenty of rest. This will allow the body to focus its energy on healing.
- Stay positive: It can be easy to get down after a traumatic event, but it is important to stay positive. Large demonstrations of positivity can be as simple as smiling and taking deep breaths throughout the day.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy can be a great way to help the body heal and recover. A physical therapist will graciously guide you through various exercises that will help your muscles stay strong and prepared for a full recovery.
- Mental therapy: Some people may be hesitant to seek mental therapy after trauma, but it can be a useful way for the body and mind to work through the situation. A therapist can help you to process events and emotions.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer: Removing the stress and anxiety that ensues after an accident can be difficult. When seeking compensation for damages, it is important to have legal assistance from a personal injury lawyer who knows the ins and outs of the legal system. Being able to have support while you are busy healing can be a great relief.
Taking these tips seriously, among other forms of recovery, can make a big difference in your life moving forward after a traumatic event. Spend some time to stop and consider what will work best for you and begin that journey to healing.
How Can I Ensure My Personal Injury Claim is Successful?
There are several steps that you can take in the pursuit of a successful personal injury claim.
- Prepare: Your first step should be to completely understand your legal rights as a victim of personal injuries. This includes understanding the specific type of accident you were involved in and the applicable state and federal laws.
- Gather Evidence: In order to prove that the other party was at fault, you will need to gather evidence to support your case. This can include photos of the accident scene, witness testimony, or medical reports from the emergency room.
- Stay Quiet: Once you have begun a personal injury claim, it is in your best interest to stay quiet and avoid speaking with the defendant or their insurance company. This can help keep your information safe and ensure you maintain the upper hand in negotiations.
- Contact a Lawyer: The best way to ensure a successful personal injury claim is to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you quickly comprehend your legal rights and guide you through the process.
- If you have been injured in a tragic accident, it is important to seek legal help to address these damages and work hand in hand to ensure a successful personal injury claim.
What Is a Lawyer’s Cut of a Settlement?
A lawyer’s cut of a settlement is the amount that your attorney will deduct from your settlement before taking their fee. A lawyer’s cut is typically a percentage of the total settlement and is usually between 25% and 33%.
It is important to understand that your lawyer’s cut is only the percentage deducted from your settlement to determine what you will receive. Your lawyer’s cut does not include any money that might be required to pay for taxes.
Every personal injury settlement is different, so your lawyer’s cut will vary based on the specifics of your case. Because each state has different laws regarding attorney’s fees, it is important to consult with your lawyer and get answers about what they will deduct from the settlement before you sign any paperwork.
How Can Houston Residents File a Personal Injury Claim?
Filing a personal injury claim can be a daunting task, but it can be much easier with the help of an experienced lawyer. There are several things you will need to do in order to file a personal injury claim.
First, you will need to understand the specific type of accident you were involved in and the state and federal laws that apply to your case. You will also need documentation of your injuries and any expenses you have incurred as a result of the accident.
Once you have gathered this information, you will need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer will then file a formal complaint with the court to begin your personal injury claim.
It can take several months for a personal injury case to go to court. It is important to be patient and avoid speaking with the defendant or their insurance company during this time. It is also wise to keep detailed records of all medical expenses incurred by the accident. Once the case has gone to court, the defendant will either make a settlement offer or the case will go in front of a judge. To finalize the settlement, you will typically need to sign a release and waiver of liability.
This is a simplified explanation of the personal injury claim process. If you have additional questions, it is best to speak with an experienced lawyer at The Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, who will detail the process specific to your case. Contact us to start addressing your personal injury lawsuit needs today.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Houston, TX Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have questions, please schedule a free case evaluation. We can help you assess your situation and your options in this complimentary, confidential meeting. Our team is here for you during this tough time. Call our firm for the top-tier legal assistance you need. The sooner we hear from you, the sooner our law firm can help!
Click here to get a free case review.
Areas we serve: Our Houston personal injury law firm serves clients throughout Texas. Areas include Jefferson County, Fort Bend County, Walker County, Brazos County, Galveston County and Crimes County.
Our Houston personal injury lawyer has a 10.0 Superb rating from Avvo, the prestigious attorney ranking service. He has been selected for inclusion in the list of Texas Super Lawyers® Rising Stars ℠ and received the Reich Chandler Outstanding Advocate Award from the Texas Trial Lawyers Association.