How to Get a Car Accident Report in Texas

A car accident report in Texas can provide significant protection after a car accident. Without an accident report, it may just be your word against the other involved party. If you suffered an injury or your vehicle was damaged, you may not be able to collect the compensation you need to recover.

Reporting a Car Accident in Texas

One of the easiest ways to report a car accident in Texas is to call 911 and have the police arrive at the scene of the crash. An officer will provide immediate help and make sure involved parties receive medical attention if needed.

Every car accident in Texas that involves injury, death or apparent property damage of more than $1,000 must be reported by a police officer to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) within 10 days of the accident. This law is found in Texas Transportation Code §550.062.

What Is in a Texas Car Accident Report?

The officer’s accident report, also known as a CR-3 form, will provide details of the crash and details from the preliminary investigation. The report will also include the officer’s opinion of the accident. This police report can be invaluable when trying to establish liability after a crash.

Some of the important information from the CR-3 form may include:

  • Names, addresses, and drivers’ license numbers of involved parties
  • Vehicle registration numbers of involved parties
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • Date, time and location of the accident
  • Witness names, statements and contact information
  • Road conditions, weather events or other information about the accident
  • Whether negligence, like drunk driving or distracted driving was a factor in the accident

If Police File the Car Accident Report, How Do I Get a Copy?

If your Texas car accident resulted in injury, death or property damage, it is highly recommended that you get a copy of this report. It is important to get a copy of the police report before speaking with an experienced Houston car accident lawyer. Your lawyer will need to review this report and discuss the details of your accident with you, so you can review all of your legal options.

You can order a copy of the police report by using the TxDOT Crash Records Information System website. It can take up to 14 days from your car accident date for the report to show up in the system.

If you prefer a hardcopy, you can request a copy by mail. To order the police report by mail, you must fill out a Request for Copy of Peace Officer’s Crash Report form (CR-91). Mail it with the required payment to the mailing address shown on the CR-91 form.

Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident in Texas Today?

If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a car accident in Houston or the surrounding Texas area, we can help. Our experienced Houston car accident lawyer knows that injured car accident victims need compensation to pay for medical expenses and other damages.

At The Law Office of Daniel D. Horowitz, III PC, we serve clients in Houston, Baytown, Beaumont and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (832) 460-5181 or fill out our confidential contact form for a free initial consultation and review of your case.